July 15, 2012

Day Eight/Nine - To Rome with Love (2012)


I went to Rome last summer. It was beautiful. Everything people had said about it seemed true.

I can't say Woody Allen in To Rome with Love did the same magic he did last year with Paris. In fact, as lightweight as the entire "plot" of unrelated ideas seems, Rome would be the last place I'd want to visit.

At one point in the film, Allen's character shouts at another character and says, "Why am I shouting? We're two feet away from each other." I wondered the same thing. I also wondered why all the characters had adopted a stage voice which lacked any real sense of believablity. And why the audience is constantly required to suspend disbelief. One character is "movie lover" but looks like a New Jersey baker? A hooker goes to a party and finds that all the men there have been her clients? Allen's character finds an Italian with a great voice who can only sing well in the shower--so he launches him in performances with a shower. Pagliacci performed with a shower onstage? And the audience loves the concept?

If you want to see Rome, I'd stick to Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday or Marcello Mastroianni in 8-1/2.

To Rome with Love (2012) **


No comments:

Post a Comment