August 2, 2013

38 - I'm So Excited - Los amantes pasajeros (2013)

Publicity shot including Almodóvar and cast
Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar's I'm So Excited is a light comedy that I considered my sorbet following all the summer blockbusters. I loved it for what is was.

The film deals with the problems aboard a trans-Atlantic jet flight on a fictional airline, As the plane took off the landing wheels were damaged and now the pilots have to find somewhere to land safely. [The majority of those on the plane has no idea what is going on because they have all been fed sleeping pills to stop any sense of panic, thus the filmmaker can concentrate only on a group of 12 people.] The disaster film formula concentrates on the occupants of the cockpit, flight crew, and business class. In true disaster film fashion, we learn the secrets of the various people involved. 

For me, the highlights of the film included sight gags such as the portable altar one of the stewards brings onboard, the crew's lip-sinching of the Pointer Sister's title song, the passengers reaction to drugged drinks, mile-high sex and a 1980s flight orgy.

Almodóvar tends to be noted for his intense colors and outrageous comedy. Some critics criticized the film because it seemed so insubstantial, but I found the film just the thing for mid-summer viewing.

I'm So Excited (2013) ****




No comments:

Post a Comment