August 2, 2013

35 - White House Down (2013)

I find Channing Tatum has a lot of film charisma and makes a credible action hero. His name drew me to White House Down. Jamie Foxx plays a good companion character, so we quickly begin rooting for the two.

The premise is that single-dad John Cale (Tatum) takes Emily, his precocious teenage daughter (Joey Kiing) on a tour of the White House on a day that terrorists attempt to take down the symbol of state. Emily goes off to the bathroom just as all hell breaks loose and Cale spends much of the time trying to rescue the President (Foxx) and then Emily from the bad guys. There are plot twists (which I didn't find real surprises, but I also wasn't disappointed that they were rather obvious).

I expected the film to be a fun ride with great effects, which it was, but as the film played out, I became really mindful of how conceivably this might happen. Watching the Capital Building bombed and burning and the White House badly damaged (although not as completely as Independence Day), brought back some of the 9/11 feelings I thought I had gotten past.

I found it refreshing that the terrorists had nothing to do with the Middle East.

By the end of the film, I felt Tatum and Foxx made a good team and I had enjoyed the ride.


White House Down (2013) ****




No comments:

Post a Comment