June 25, 2013

29 - Stories We Tell (2012)

What is truth? If everyone we know gives their version of things that happen, do we ultimately end up with the truth?

Sarah Polley, in this fascinating documentary called Stories We Tell, sets out to tell the story of her mother and Sarah discovered that the father who raised her was not her biological father. She narrows the possibilities down to essentially two men. Using straight-on interviews with her two sisters, two brothers, friends of the family, and the two possible fathers, Sarah paints a vivid portrait of her actress mother. Throughout the film we have interviews and "home movies" to tell the complicated story.

"I want to tell my story," Sarah and both her fathers say. The stories often contradict each other.

For me the one of the real discoveries was that at the end we see Sarah filming many of the "home movies" with actors. While I thought we were immersed in truth, how much is that reality hampered when the "truth" isn't really the truth? I still haven't reached a conclusion about that. Certainly the documentary is a must-see on my list.


Stories We Tell (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment