October 13, 2013

50 - Josh Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing (2012)

I have to admit that Much Ado About Nothing is a Shakespeare play I've avoided. I read it in college, but little of the plot or characters stayed with me. 

So as Josh Whedon's stylish black and white version began in a very contemporary setting, it took me a long time to adjust to the juxtaposition of Shakespeare's language in contemporary drag. Somewhere about the time that Amy Acker's Beatrice and Alexis Denisof's Benedick begin in earnest to pursue each other, I found myself fully in the production. By the end, I would truly say I enjoyed the experience.

I am a fan of many of the actors in the cast, so I enjoyed their ensemble acting. Of particular note was Nathan Fillion's Dogberry which at first seemed too over the top, but gradually grew on me.

I found myself a little disappointed that the spot color used in the trailer didn't appear in the actual film.

Having read that Matt Whedon's home in Santa Monica, California, was used as the film location, I found the house as rich a character as the cast.

Josh Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing (2012) ****


No comments:

Post a Comment