November 2, 2012

101 - Cloud Atlas (2012)


Brilliant, challenging, confusing, awesome, exciting, thought-provoking.  Cloud Atlas is one of this year’s best. A masterpiece.

The film plays with the idea that all lives are connected and the action of one can ripple across time like pebbles in water. Love acts as a bridge between lives, and death is only (as one character says) “stepping through one door” to another existence.  Plots and events in one story are mirrored and expanded on in another, so that like an elaborate quilt the story emerges with each new piece.

In the film, we are told that all actions, both bad and good, affect the fabric of the lives we live with others in past, present and future.  I knew beforehand that there were essentially six different stories woven together. Ranging from 1849 to 1936, 1973, 2012, 2144, and “106 winters after the Fall” (2321), the film uses the same often brilliant ensemble actors playing both male and female characters. The stories vary in tone. I was not sure how having six different stories would be explained to the audience. In effect, there was no explanation. The six stories are just told, cutting from one to the other--it assumes the audience is bright enough to figure it out. And we do.

For me the most touching and powerful is the one which takes place in Neo Seoul. Bae Donna as Sonmi-451, a stunningly beautiful server/slave, learns from Jim Sturgess as Hae-Joo Chang the power of love. She learns that the actions of one individual can change  the history of the world. Sonmi-451’s message is mirrored in the poignant male-male love story of Robert Frobisher (Ben Whishaw) and Rufus Sixsmith (James D’Arcy) as two men stay connected in spite of separation.

Tom Hanks’ characters move from a killer intent only on stealing another’s gold to a non-committed family man who learns to protect all he cherishes.

With truly outstanding make-up, characters often play against their type and women play men, men play women, African-Americans and Asians play Caucasions. It becomes a surprise at the end to see the extensive variety of roles the lead actors play.

This is one of the few films I can think of that makes me want to study the script (by Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, and Andy Wachowski), then read  David Mitchell’s novel of the same name, and finally see the film again. I know already that I will see this film more than once, just as I have seen the Wachowski’s The Matrix several times.

I laughed, I cried, I felt exhilarated, and then I joined the other moviegoers in applauding both before the credits and after. As I stood up to leave, I looked at the man at the end of my row who looked at me, smiled and echoed my thoughts with one word, “Brilliant.”

The musical score by Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil becomes an experience unto itself.

See this before it leaves the big screen.

Cloud Atlas ***** (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment